Tuesday, April 15, 2014

In the name of being "weird"

I am sitting in my living room surrounded by books, blankets, candles, picture frames and throw pillows. This morning I made an omelet with more ingredients than a five course meal. I just bought a sleeping bag on-line not because I have a trip planed but because I crave adventure and had a coupon. In the past year and a half, I have gone to living in one of the poorer countries of the world to living in America (and living like an American).



For the past  few months, the Lord has been tugging on my heart to decrease so He can increase in my life. So naturally I've been pushing back, but yesterday while sipping a cup of coffee and curled up with Jen Hatmakers "7" I decided to dive in.

While reading the intro of this book, my heart began leaping. For the past year I have been dreaming and planning but taking no action.  In July, I will leave my current job and began travel nursing in hopes of building relationships so I can hopefully better serve the underserved and underdeveloped countries of the world through better access to health care. But this is still a dream and only that. It may be years before the vision the Lord has placed on my heart will have a name and faces behind it and "7" is something I can do now.

The idea behind is "7" is to take "seven months, identify  seven areas of excess, and make seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence. In the spirit of a fasting, the book encourages to pursue a deeply reduced life in order to find a greatly increased God."

In the first chapter the question is asked "Why are you doing this?" and one response is "You always have to be doing something, don't you"
Jen's response to this is what I pray my heart in this experiment can be

"Maybe I am turning into a girl who always has to have something, I don't know. What I do know is that my "something" is a desire to look more like Jesus" 



No comments:

Post a Comment